- Overall design trends in the hospitality, residential and cultural projects – what are the industry demands?
- Light as a vital source in bringing life to indoor spaces and creating an ambiance on the exterior of buildings
- Facilitating green façade trends in creating futuristic interior
- Blending traditional and contemporary designs
- Changing design approach in urban living
- Current trends as seen in case studies (religious projects, museums/hotels/malls)
Building stone is a versatile material with many potential applications. Join us for a discussion of building stone as a material and its various formats. During this session, we will first discuss the quarrying and production of building stone materials. We will then review full veneer, thin veneer, and panel formats while discussing potential strengths of each dimension. Come away with a plan to specify building stone into your next project.
- Gain insight into the quarry and production procedures of building stone materials.
- Review various formats of building stone materials and how this impacts material selection.
- Discuss what standards govern building stone materials and how this impacts specification.
- Create a plan for adding building stone into your future specifications.
- Benefits of natural stone as a building material
- Natural stone in sustainable architecture
- Environmental Impacts of using natural stone
- Designing with natural stone
Have you designed specification for exterior cladding systems? This session will discuss several varieties of exterior cladding systems, and explain the minimum skills and experience that should be secured before venturing into each variety of work. Come away from this session with a plan for researching and writing specification to meet industry standards.
- Understand the variety of Exterior Wall Cladding attachment systems available.
- Be able to recognize the required minimum resources to for competent participation in the exterior markets.
- Develop an awareness of the risks specific to the exterior cladding contracting sector of the industry.
- Identify the resources available from which one can obtain the further education necessary to be a competent provider of exterior stone cladding systems.
- Stone selections and design applications
- Alternative durable stone solutions
- Maintenance care for natural stone
- Case study- award winning luxury project “House of Handsome”
Most architectural specifications require that stone meet certain specified ASTM or other testing standards before it will be accepted for use. Be aware of the requirements of performance that will be placed on the stone at the time of installation, and in the future. Learn about how these standards also serve as benchmarks for quality limits of products.
- Be aware of the requirements of performance that will be placed on the stone at the time of installation, and in the future
- Learn about options for having a stone tested if no testing data is available
- Gain insight into which tests should be performed
- Learn how materials standards help to prevent the use of stone products for unsuitable applications
- Components of successful urban space
- Creating experiences for communities
- Benoy project case study
- The Human Art Instinct
- Public Art and Building Facades Around Middle East
- How Public Art is part of a rising movement of Place Making Regionally
- The difference between Graffiti and Murals
- Climate and the Importance of high quality Substrates
- International Visibility of Public Large Scale Art
The natural stone industry is full of resources for stone professionals. This session will discuss what resources are available and how stone professionals can access and utilize these resources. Join us as we discuss stone installations standards, training resources and certification. Come away with a plan to utilize these resources to grow your business.
- Review natural stone resources and standards that affect the selection and installation of stone.
- Learn what training and educational resources are available to the stone industry.
- Discuss natural stone certification programs that can improve efficiency.
- Create a plan to utilize available resources to grow your business.
- Key features of the W Hotel and Mandarin Oriental
- Challenges on stone installation for the W Hotel and Mandarin Oriental
- High end finishes for luxury brand hotels including Marble
This session will discuss various building stone applications and how each material was specified for optimal fit. Review case studies of successful building stone applications. Learn how the stone was specified and properly installed. Come away with ideas on how to use building stone in future projects.
- Review case studies of successful building stone applications.
- Discuss how to properly specify stone to meet aesthetic and environmental needs.
- Identify resources to help you properly specify building stone materials.
- Create a plan for adding building stone into your future projects.
Have you ever had business disagreements about the import or export of stone? The Natural Stone Institute has joined with leading stone companies to create comprehensive standards, guidelines, and procedures for communicating, understanding, and executing natural stone purchase and sales agreements to the benefit of both parties. Whether you are a supplier who has purchased for years or a fabricator looking to source for the first time, you will benefit from learning best practices as they apply to international natural stone purchases.
- Understand the process of direct stone sourcing and how your company can benefit.
- Learn the language of sales agreements and how to protect your company when selling or purchasing internationally.
- Discuss “best practices” with colleagues who have gone through the process of exporting or importing stone.
- Discuss what resources are available to someone new to the importing and exporting segments of the industry.
- Typical issues with stone cladding and fixing systems
- Stone failures and assessing risks of future failures
- Lack of adequate design, fabrication quality control, and inspection during construction
- Quality control procedures during installation and need for 3rd party consultancy supervision
- Enhancing the outdoor beauty with natural stone sculptures depicting a mix of modern and organic
- Trending in this decade - natural stone patio for outdoor entertaining
- Use of different natural light to bring out the prominence of stone in outdoor setting
- Exploring the history and best uses of marble in architecture and building design
- Moving from its use only as an exterior stone to –
- Benefits around the color and textures in surface design
This one-hour class is designed for construction industry professionals desiring to gain a full understanding of natural stone as a building material. Learn more about the various natural stones (limestone, travertine, onyx, marble, serpentine, sandstone, slate, quartzite, and granite). Obtain information about common quarrying techniques, fabrication, and finishing methods. With this understanding, you'll enhance your ability to select the right stone, fabrication technique, and finish for your project.
- Obtain a better understanding of how the mineral composition and formation of stone affect its performance as a building material.
- Learn about the science of each species of stone, examples of how it is quarried, unique characteristics, and common applications.
- Gain knowledge about stone fabrication and finishing methods.
- Understand the resources available that are relevant to natural stone.
• What is Co-design
• How co-creation of marble and stones can affect the industry
• Implementation of co-design in the industry
- Discuss the responsibilities and liabilities of each pillar in the typical construction project.
- Review resources to find more information about natural stone standards.
- Learn how to plan for the longevity of an installation by specifying appropriate materials.
- Evaluate factors specific to the price of different materials, finishes and methods.
• Introduction: Multiple Scales
• Design drivers for innovation waterscapes
• Sustainable planning strategies
• Future direction and guidelines